This is a once only vaccine which is recommended for all patients over 65 years of age.
Patients over 2 years of age in a clinical risk group in whom there is an increased risk of morbidity or mortality from pneumococcal disease.
The risk groups are:
- History of a splenectomy
- Immunosuppression due to disease or treatment
- Chronic heart disease
- Chronic respiratory disease
- Chronic Kidney disease
- Chronic Liver disease
- Patients who are diabetic
- Patients with chronic degenerative neurological disease including:
- cerebral palsy
- Individuals with cochlear implants and individuals with cerebrospinal fluid leaks.